Monday, March 23, 2009

Gave Deckadance a Spin - Day 1

I gave Deckadance a quick look over but I used my Serato Scratch Live box and the SL1 driver. Initially, I wasn't sure what mode to use because in the vinyl control option it shows four variants of Ms. Pinky, PCDJ, and Torq as vinyl time code readers.
I didn't see Serato so to use Serato is a button that says "learn timecode." After I hit that a couple times I was able to use the Serato vinyl to control the mp3 tracks.
My issue right now is that everything is on channel 1 which means one of two things: #1 Deckdance can't recognize the SL1 box channel assignments and is only using one output or I have to go back in and adjust the output settings. (RTFM perhaps?)
This is important because I use a hardware mixer and NOT a midi or usb controller which I probably will not test with this application.
In addition, the time code is accurate and my cuts are coming out but the issue that both Traktor and Torq have, Deckadance has. The time coded vinyl slips so that beat juggling is not accurate and skratching is not accurate. What I mean by this is that when you use real vinyl and place a sticker marker, you always know that bringing the record to the point of the sticker is always going to bring back the sound. In Serato Scratch Live this is as accurate as software can get. Everything else can't match up to Serato's accuracy. I'm using a Lenovo T60 with a T2400 Intel Processor and a gig of ram. My opinion is that if the Serato people can do it then there shouldn't have an issue. My feeling is that Deckadance however isn't for the turntablists. It's more for the dance orientated and mixing DJ's and studio heads.

VST's
This is by far the most attractive feature about Deckadance and Torq, the ability to load a VST of some sort and apply it to the outgoing track. My initial test was just to load up something random like Dblue's Glitch. It works and it works well. I haven't been able to crash the application so things are looking interesting.

Loops
There are also loop tools and loop banks to be able to mix and control multiple loops similar to Torq.

Below is just one screen shot:


This layout just seems to make more sense to me than that of Torq and Traktor.
There are some other tools that I haven't checked out in this but right now I think this is a good alternate choice for those individuals who want a bit more flexibility in their DJ application. AS my opinions are mine I might give this software more time since Torq and Traktor just don't seem to work out for me right now in terms of the GUI interface and the weak vinyl emulation.

Until Serato and Ableton complete their marriage...I may toss this app into Ableton as a VST and try a couple routines using a MIDI controller as well...we'll see.

No comments: